What is your voice?
What do you see?
Monuments for All
Photos From Contestants
Taken by Greg Russell: "The Anatomy of a Desert Storm"
Taken by William Spangler. "It's not just the beauty of that many flowers in one place or that this landscape - level habitat is important for endangered species pushed out of the nearby Central Valley, but the smell of Caulanthus anceps is a treasure unlike any other. The Carrizo Plains National Monument speaks to a wilder California and honors the pioneers who sought to change the land and realized its harsher edges..."
Taken by Greg Russell: "Today is the 111th anniversary of the Antiquities Act of 1906. This powerful, albeit short piece of legislation gives the president power to designate national monuments as necessary..."
The Grand Staircase National Monument. Taken by Christine Fedor.
Taken by Julie Trevelyan at the Grand Staircase.
National Monument Photo Contest
1. Post an original photo of a National Monument currently being reviewed by the Secretary of the Interior, Secretary Ryan Zinke.
2. Share your original voice! What is stated in your caption that gives your National Monument of choice, a voice? What IS your voice on National Monuments and why do you think that they should keep their status?
3. To enter, include the hashtag:
#monumentsforallphotocontest in your caption on any social media outlet.
4. What do you win? A signed book from Torrey House Press! You get to choose between RED ROCK STORIES or EDGE OF MORNING. The winner AND runner-ups will be reposted/shared by Torrey House Press.
5. CLOSING DATE: July 8th at midnight!
Why is the closing date
on July 8th at midnight?
.... Because July 10th is the final comment deadline if you want your voice to be heard. Here is in the necessary information in order to send your comments to the Secretary of Interior:
1. Submit comments at http://www.regulations.gov by entering “DOI-2017-0002” in the Search bar and clicking “Search,”
2. By mail to Monument Review, MS-1530, U.S. Department of the Interior, 1849 C Street NW, Washington, DC 20240
3. Tweet @SecretaryZinke !
LIST OF NATIONAL MONUMENTS UNDER REVIEW
Credit to The Washington Post
San Gabriel Mountains
Berryessa Snow Mountain
Sand to Snow
Canyons of the Ancients
WWII Valor in the Pacific
Pacific Remote Islands
Northeast Canyons and Seamounts
Upper Missouri River Breaks
Rio Grande del Norte
Organ Mountains-Desert Peaks
Basin and Range
NORTHERN MARIANA ISLANDS AND GUAM
Bears Ears National